Tuesday, April 6, 2010

the chicken tractor


After a few weeks of working out all the unexpected I have officially finished the chicken tractor. Lacey and Naomi still have to paint it but all the functional stuff is done.

The last coop I built on a wheelbarrow stand thinking that if you can move 80 pounds of concrete around why not a few chickens and some eggs. What I didn't think about was the run. Every time I wanted to move the coop I had to remove the run, then move the chickens and then connect the run back. This While process took about 30 mins, which is just way to long plus the chickens would get out and run the backyard until dark. The old coop also had a roost which was good enough for them before the got big and fat now only two of them can fit on it. The ventilation was also pretty poor which made for a super stinky coop.

So the things that I wanted for this coop was as follows; more room, a roost that fit them all, better ventilation, a better way for my egg collector to collect eggs and easy mobility.

My idea was to basically make a run for them about the same size as the old one and then put the coop part on top of it. to keep things simple I also moved away from the A frame design and just went with right angles which was a lot easier for me.

I have moved the chickens three times already, once a day pretty much since they have been in there and it is super easy now that I have the wheels on the back too.

Here are some pictures.
Side View

Wheels on the back

Ladder on a hinge so I can pull it up when i move the coop

Egg doors

Inside shot of nesting box

Ventilation and a little window to see the birds

I made a little stand for the bucket that feeds the chicken nipple




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chicken nipple.

Gremlina said...

hee hee.